Divrigi

THE HISTORY OF THE TOWN

The history of the town dates back to the Hittites (BC 90). Having been called as Teprice-Tefrike in Roman Period, this town was also named ‘Divrik’ in Ibni Bibi’s Seljukname and in some other works and inscriptions in 13 th century. As it is today, the name of the town was ‘Divrigi’ in Evliya Çelebi’s travel book. Having been invaded by Sassanians at the beginning of the 7 th Century, Divrigi and environs had been the target of the attacks of Arabic Armies and the raids by military colonies located in the south not long before Heraklius’ saving from Sassanion expansion. Divrigi was taken in hand by Turks after Malazgirt Victory. When east Anatolia was divided among Turkish Commanders, Erzincan and Environs were given to commander Mengucek. A wing of Mengucek reigned in Divrigi. According to the available inscriptions, the reign of Mengucek lasted till mid 13 th century and later the property Mengucek Dynasty was taken in hands by Seljuks. After the Turkish Union in Anatolia dispersed, the authority in Divrigi was under the control of Egyptian­Mamluk. In 1398 the possession of Divrigi was taken by Ottoman Sultan Bayezid the 1st from the son of Egyptian governor ibrahim Suhhi. The town was invaded by Timur in 1401. The exact annexation of Divrigi into Turkish Union was after Mercidabik Victory during the reign of Yavuz Sultan Selim (1516).

Divrigi became a Sanjak Center bound to Sivas Province under the Ottoman Control. After re­organization of Sivas Province, Divrigi became a district.

Historical Sites of Divrigi

Divrigi Castle: It was built by Mengucekogullan and today it’s a unique Turkish Castle. Its rampart length is 1.5 kms. Most of it was built by Mengucekogullan in 13 th century. Traces of a mosque, a cistern, a granery, and some rock hollows can still be found. Apart from this castle, there are Kesdogan Castle and Odur (Kayabumu) Castle as well.

The history of the town dates back to the Hittites (BC 90). Having been called as Teprice-Tefrike in Roman Period, this town was also named ‘Divrik’ in Ibni Bibi’s Seljukname and in some other works and inscriptions in 13 th century. As it is today, the name of the town was ‘Divrigi’ in Evliya Çelebi’s travel book. Having been invaded by Sassanians at the beginning of the 7 th Century, Divrigi and environs had been the target of the attacks of Arabic Armies and the raids by military colonies located in the south not long before Heraklius’ saving from Sassanion expansion. Divrigi was taken in hand by Turks after Malazgirt Victory. When east Anatolia was divided among Turkish Commanders, Erzincan and Environs were given to commander Mengucek.  A wing of Mengucek reigned in Divrigi. According to the available inscriptions, the reign of Mengucek lasted till mid 13 th century and later the property Mengucek Dynasty was taken in hands by Seljuks. After the Turkish Union in Anatolia dispersed, the authority in Divrigi was under the control of Egyptian­Mamluk. In 1398 the possession of Divrigi was taken by Ottoman Sultan Bayezid the 1st from the son of Egyptian governor ibrahim Suhhi. The town was invaded by Timur in 1401. The exact annexation of Divrigi into Turkish Union was after Mercidabik Victory during the reign of Yavuz Sultan Selim (1516).

Divrigi became a Sanjak Center bound to Sivas Province under the Ottoman Control. After re­organization of Sivas Province, Divrigi became a district.

Historical Sites of Divrigi

Divrigi Castle: It was built by Mengucekogullan and today it’s a unique Turkish Castle. Its rampart length is 1.5 kms. Most of it was built by Mengucekogullan in 13 th century. Traces of a mosque, a cistern, a granery, and some rock hollows can still be found. Apart from this castle, there are Kesdogan Castle and Odur (Kayabumu) Castle as well.

The history of the town dates back to the Hittites (BC 90). Having been called as Teprice-Tefrike in Roman Period, this town was also named ‘Divrik’ in Ibni Bibi’s Seljukname and in some other works and inscriptions in 13 th century. As it is today, the name of the town was ‘Divrigi’ in Evliya Çelebi’s travel book. Having been invaded by Sassanians at the beginning of the 7 th Century, Divrigi and environs had been the target of the attacks of Arabic Armies and the raids by military colonies located in the south not long before Heraklius’ saving from Sassanion expansion. Divrigi was taken in hand by Turks after Malazgirt Victory. When east Anatolia was divided among Turkish Commanders, Erzincan and Environs were given to commander Mengucek.  A wing of Mengucek reigned in Divrigi. According to the available inscriptions, the reign of Mengucek lasted till mid 13 th century and later the property Mengucek Dynasty was taken in hands by Seljuks. After the Turkish Union in Anatolia dispersed, the authority in Divrigi was under the control of Egyptian­Mamluk. In 1398 the possession of Divrigi was taken by Ottoman Sultan Bayezid the 1st from the son of Egyptian governor ibrahim Suhhi. The town was invaded by Timur in 1401. The exact annexation of Divrigi into Turkish Union was after Mercidabik Victory during the reign of Yavuz Sultan Selim (1516).

Divrigi became a Sanjak Center bound to Sivas Province under the Ottoman Control. After re­organization of Sivas Province, Divrigi became a district.

Historical Sites of Divrigi

Divrigi Castle: It was built by Mengucekogullan and today it’s a unique Turkish Castle. Its rampart length is 1.5 kms. Most of it was built by Mengucekogullan in 13 th century. Traces of a mosque, a cistern, a granery, and some rock hollows can still be found. Apart from this castle, there are Kesdogan Castle and Odur (Kayabumu) Castle as well.

In the different region where Anatolian principalities reigned, a mosque type peculiar to Anatolia developed from the end of the 12th century to the beginning of the 13 th century In 1228, Great Mosque of Divrigi was built by Ahmet Sah, grandson of Mengucek ruler, Sahinsah,by whom Kale mosque was built as well. In architect was Hurrem Sah of Ahlat.

The construction of building lasted quite long. The minbar of the mosque, which is the best example of Seljukian timber work, was made by Tiflisian ibrahim’s son Ahmet in 1240. Under the control of Unesco’s protection work, there are 440 natural and cultural riches in the list of “World Cultural Heritage” . Nine (9) cultural and natural riches have been included in this list. One of the first three riches in Turkey is The Great Mosque of Divrigi and Medical Center.

Kale (Castle) Mosque: This mosque was built by Sahin Sah, the son of Emir Ishak’s son Suleyman Shah in 1180. It is very important because of its being one of the oldest buildings.

Cedit Pasha Mosque: It was built by Kose Mustafa Pasha in 1799. Its minaret is bonded with black-white and
cube-shaped stones.

Furthermore, the other historical buildings are as follows; Abi Cimen Mosque (1840), Gokce Mosque (1844), Zeliha Hatun Mosque (1869), Haci Osman Masjit, Kemankes Mosque, Semsi Bezirgan Mosque, Kurtul Ahmet Pasa Masjid, Suleyman Aga Masjid and Turabi Masjit.

TOMBS AND TURBES

Sitte Melik Tomb : It was built for Emir Suleyman Bin Seyfettin Sahin Sah of Mengucek Tribe. It is pyramid-coned on an octagonal body. The entrance side in the form of crown gate and the other decorated niches are interesting.

Kamereddin Tomb: The building (1196) was built for the treasurer Kamereddin of Mengucek Tribe. With its arched and sliced-crown gate, it is an uncovered tomb. It is pyramid coned on anoctagonal body.

Kemenkes Tomb: It was built in 1240. Its octagonal planned inside dome is covered by a pyramidal hat from the outside.

Naip (Gazezler) Tomb: It has a tax inscription on its window from the Memluks time. In 1291, it was built for Naip Esref. It has an octagonal plan.

Other tombs are: Sinaniye Hatun, Dilber, Ahi Yusuf Grave.

Nasreddin Mehmet Grave: It is near the Kayitbay Mosque. It was built in 1469 or 1489.It was built for Naslf Seyid Mehmet.

Araplik Grave: It is in the Koca Pasa St. Its roof is totally destroyed.

Saracin Grave: It is a grave in the middle of the road on the way to the Ulu Mosque outside the town center, and has a shape of Baldaken style with four columns. Probably, it belongs to the 18 th Century.

Other graves ; Huseyin Gazi (on the Igimbat Mountain), Gedikbasi Karadonlu Can Baba Grave (Omerli Village), Ahi Baba Grave (Ahi Village), Semmas Pir Grave (Dum Village), Seyit Baba Grave (Akmese Village), Sacli Baba Grave (Erikli Village),
Akcababa Grave (Karakale Village), Hasan Pasa Grave (Ucpinar Village), Avsar Grave (Avsar Village), Gani Baba Grave (Kevenduzu Village).

The Churches

Upper Church : It is in the West of the Castle and mostly destroyed.

Down Church : It is down the upper Church. The walls and the upside are destroyed.

Other Church Remains : Kaya Yakup, Ersun. Uzunkaya ( Pargam ) and the Guresin Verk region.

The Inns

Pamuk Inn: It is near the Demirdag Station and most of its walls are standing.

Burmahan Inn: It is on the road of Divrigi Kemah-Erzincan. It belongs to Mengucekogullari and most of its parts are destroyed.

Handere ( Mircinge) Inn: It is in the Handere Village and belongs to Mengucekogullari period.

Dumluca Inn: It is between the Gunbahce Village and Dumluca Village. Some parts of its walls and roof are standing.

Baths: Down,Bekir Cavus and Imamoglu Baths.

Bridges

Handere Bridge: It is on the Mircinge River, 1 km.south of Handere Village. It two sided and sharp arched.

Also Kiz, Faziloglu, Kesin, Lih river, Bereket, Kose Pasa, Hungur are other bridges in the town.

Divrigi Houses

Civil architecture in Divrigi developed from 12 th century to 19 th centruy. It seemed as a developed city with approximately 1000 houses in 24 Sts., 30 mosque, 4 baths & 600 shops with green mountains.

Divrigi Houses, which are good samples of Civil Architecture,are worth to see. Wooden works are made with a detailed artistic style .Some of them are: Ismail Yildirim, Alanli, Ayanoglu, Abdullah Pasa Mansions, and Refik Durdu, Cankaya, Sancakzade Ercokluzade Yusuf Aga, Tevruzlu Ahmet Ural, Muratoglu, Deli Osman Aga. Kalipsiz, Karslioglu, Dizdarzade Eyup Efendi, Aristakzade, Haci Ismail Bey, Haci Ferhat, Yolgecti, Ede Bey, Calapverdizade, Burnaz Pasa, Sütmolla, Muhurdazade, Yilankirmalizade Houses are otrher houses of the town.

Picnic Places: Palanga Area is worth to see as a picnic area. Besides, the environment of Caltl River is used as a picnic place.

Divrigi Iron Mine: Divrigi Iron Mine has been known from the Ottomans also from the Seljuks and has been used since then. Then it took hand during the Republic period since the East railway passes through Divrigi. MIA (Ins.), founded in 1935, had 1515 ms research works at the head-A region. After the foundation of the iron mine on 19 th May, 1938, it was opened on 15 th December, 1940 and took the name: “Iron Mine Co.” Before that it had worked temporarily at Kayalik Village and then at Curek and on 21 th June, 1955 it took the name as”Iron Mine Institution”. In 1972, Iron & Steel General Directory decided to enrich the factory. In 1974, it became a transportation place and skate place.

During the foundation of buildings, the institution moved from Curek Place to Operating Building and still keeps
on working at the same building.